- Ensure yard drains, gutters and downspouts are free of leaves and debris.
- Remove leaves and debris from window wells.
- Check for birds’ nests that may have been built in plumbing vent pipes, like the ones from the dryer to the outside.
- Check all faucets and hose bibs to make sure water flows freely. If an outdoor faucet is barely dripping or if there is leakage the first time the hose is turned on, a pipe may have cracked and needs to be repaired.
- Septic tanks should be inspected and pumped every three to five years to help prevent costly replacement of the filter field.